As you grow up and begin to go through teenage years and move up into higher grades stress becomes more of an issue. We all struggle with stress in daily life and school should be a space where stress is lessened if there is any stress at all. We all bring outside stress (family, friends, work if you have a job, etc.) into the classroom which then leads to more stress in an academic setting. If we were able to ditch the stress at the door, school and learning could become much more fun. When you are feeling stressed, try these strategies;
- Think positive: This may be hard at times or seem impossible at other times but it is so important to always stay as positive as you can. When you think positive you are more likely to stay focused on the good and the bad tends to leave your mind. When thinking positive you are lessening your stress and increasing your ability to focus on the task at hand.
- Have an outlet: This can be a favorite sport you play, listening to music, talking to a friend, a hobby you enjoy, etc. There are so many things you can take part in that will get your mind off of the stress and into a better, more comforting space.
- Engage in relaxing scenarios: This can be taking a minute to yourself to reflect on what your stress is from. You could also try to do yoga or meditation in this time, anything that will help to take your mind off of the stress you are feeling. Some people often find exercise to be relaxing in a way because you can work out all the stress. Anything that you find helpful can be relaxing, and this can look different for everyone.
- Talk to someone: Some people prefer to sit and reflect while others will like to talk through the problems. It can be really beneficial to get a different point of view on the situation. Find someone you are comfortable talking to and ask if they have a minute to listen.
- Get plenty of sleep: As you grow up, you need more sleep, when you are not getting enough sleep your brain does not have the proper amount of time to relax. When you sleep that is when your brain relaxes and gets ready for the next day. It is important as young adults to get as much sleep as you can.
There are many different ways to lessen stress, above are only a few. Take these into consideration the next time you are feeling stressed and visit this website for more information and strategies. This resource is written for older students but is still very helpful for young adults who may be struggling. https://www.learnpsychology.org/student-stress-anxiety-guide/